The salmonella outbreak at Firefly could teach local diners a lot—if anybody feels like listening
Source: Las Vegas Weekly
Dining out requires a lot of trust. Trust that what you order will show up on your plate. Trust that the food in the kitchen is being held in sanitary conditions and at the proper temperatures. Trust that the person doing the cooking knows how to deliver a meal that’s clean, safe and hopefully delicious.
Some of that trust was broken last month, when the Southern Nevada Health District shut down Firefly’s Paradise Road location following a salmonella outbreak that’s affected at least 89 people and been called the worst in this region in a decade. The outbreak and the conditions that caused it are serious—the Center for Disease Control and Prevention has an entire micro-site dedicated to salmonella—but the local media’s portrayal of food-safety issues and restaurant inspections sometimes isn’t. Viewers and readers are often left to sort out the details, and the relative severity of the problem, for themselves.
SNHD spokeswoman Jennifer Sizemore offers the Health District’s own website as an antidote to sensationalism, where reports are listed “without commentary or interpretation.”
“The public has gotten more savvy over the years,” she says, “but I think some of the things that look gross aren’t the things that make you sick. One dead cockroach means they probably sprayed their facility. One dead cockroach means they’re probably taking care of the problem, and they probably have a plan in place.”
. . .
To read more visit Las Vegas Weekly.