Great American Beer Festival Winners Announced
Boulder, CO — The 2011 Great American Beer Festival (GABF) competition drew an impressive field of competitors, with 2011 topping last year's entries by 11%. GABF remains the largest commercial beer competition in the world, with 3,930 beers vying for medals (compared to 3,523 entries in 2010). A total of 248 medals were awarded.
Competition entries were received from 526 breweries from 48 states plus Puerto Rico.
This year's GABF competition attracted 167 beer judges from nine countries. The competition was aided by the efforts of 107 volunteers. Award-winning brewers received prestigious gold, silver and bronze medals in 83 beer categories covering 134 beer styles (encompassing subcategories), establishing the best examples of each style in the United States.
2011 Brewery and Brewer of the Year Awards
Small Brewing Company and Small Brewing Company Brewer of the Year
Sponsored by Microstar Keg Management
Chuckanut Brewery, Bellingham, Wash.
Mid-Size Brewing Company and Mid-Size Brewing Company Brewer of the Year
Sponsored by Brewers Supply Group
Firestone Walker Brewing Co, Paso Robles, Calif.
Large Brewing Company and Large Brewing Company Brewer of the Year
Pabst Brewing Company, Woodridge, Ill.
Small Brewpub and Small Brewpub Brewer of the Year
Sponsored by Briess Malt & Ingredients Co.
Pizza Port Ocean Beach, San Diego
Large Brewpub and Large Brewpub Brewer of the Year
Sponsored by Brewers Supply Group
Pizza Port Carlsbad, Carlsbad, Calif.
Pizza Port Brew Guys
Brewpub Group and Brewpub Group Brewer of the Year
Sponsored by Country Malt Group
TAPS Fish House & Brewery, Brea, Calif.
Among the highlights of the 2011 GABF competition results:
* Medals were won by 18 first-time entering breweries (seven gold medals, five silver medals, six bronze medals).
* Indiana had the most winning rate of medals compared to entries by state, with a 19.2 percent winning rate. Specifically, Indiana won 10 medals out of 52 total entries.
o Minnesota won three medals out of 21 entries for a winning rate of 14.3%.
o New Mexico won four medals out of 31 entries for a winning rates of 12.9%.
o Wyoming won five medals out of 39 entries for a winning rate of 12.8%.
o Alaska won two medals out of 16 entries for a winning rate of 12.5%.
* The top five entrants that won the most medals are:
o Sun King Brewing Co., 8 medals
o Firestone Walker Brewing Co., 6 medals
o Pizza Port Carlsbad, 6 medals
o Rock Bottom Brewery, 6 medals
o Boston Beer Co., 4 medals
* The most gold medals were won by :
o Sun King Brewing Co., 4 gold medals won
o Firestone Walker Brewing Co., 3 gold medals won
o Pizza Port Carlsbad, 3 gold medals won
o 21st Amendment Brewery, 2 gold medals won
o Boulevard Brewing Co., 2 gold medals won
The most competitive category was again American-Style India Pale Ale with 176 entries, representing brewers' and beer enthusiasts' persistent love for hop-forward beers. This category has been the top-entered at GABF since 2001.
The top five entered categories were:
1. American-Style India Pale Ale - 176 entries
2. Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Beer - 118 entries
3. American-Style Pale Ale - 105 entries
4. American-Style Strong Pale Ale - 103 entries
5. Imperial India Pale Ale - 102 entries
The top 5 winners in the most-entered (that is, the most competitive) categories were:
* American-Style India Pale Ale, 176 entries
Gold: Elevated IPA, La Cumbre Brewing Co, Albuquerque, NM
Silver: Deviant Dale's, Oskar Blues Brewery, Longmont, CO
Bronze: Head Hunter IPA, Fat Heads Brewery, North Olmsted, OH
* Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Beer, 118 entries
Gold: Melange a Trois, Nebraska Brewing Co, Papillion, NE
Silver: BBJ (Bourbon Barrel Johan), Sun King Brewing Co, Indianapolis, IN
Bronze: Barrel Aged Naked Evil BBW, Hoppin' Frog Brewing Co, Akron, OH
* American-Style Pale Ale, 105 entries
Gold: Pale 31, Firestone Walker Brewing Co, Paso Robles, CA
Silver: Mission St. Pale, Firestone Walker Brewing Co, Paso Robles, CA
Bronze: Ute Trail Pale Ale, Amicas, Salida, CO
* American-Style Strong Pale Ale, 103 entries
Gold: Pako's Eye P.A., Snake River Brewing, Jackson, WY
Silver: AleSmith IPA, AleSmith Brewing Co, San Diego, CA
Bronze: Hop Knot, Four Peaks Brewing Co, Tempe, AZ
* Imperial India Pale Ale, 102 entries
Gold: Citra Double IPA, Kern River Brewing, Kernville, CA
Silver: Double Jack, Firestone Walker Brewing Co, Paso Robles, CA
Bronze: Imperial IPA, Epic Brewing Co, Salt Lake City, UT
Four new beer styles were judged at the 2011 GABF, including Fruit Wheat Beer (48 entries), Chocolate Beer (30 entries), American-Style Brett Ale (31 entries) and International-Style Pale Ale (20 entries).
2011 Great American Beer Festival Pro-Am Competition
Gold, silver and bronze medals were also awarded in the GABF Pro-Am competition, which pairs amateur brewers with professional brewers, who scale up the award-winning homebrew recipes. The medal winners, including the winning professional brewers and American Homebrewers Association (AHA) member homebrewers are:
Gold: Before Capone, C.B. & Potts Restaurant & Brewery, Westminster, CO
Brewmaster: Dennis O'Harrow, AHA Member: Tom Gardner
Silver: Schwarzherz, Uinta Brewing Co., Salt Lake City, UT
Brewmaster: Uinta Beer Team, AHA Member: Travis Grimm
Bronze: Kriek, Dry Dock Brewing, Aurora, CO
Brewmaster: Dry Dock Brewers, AHA Member: Ted Manahan
The GABF Pro-Am Competition is sponsored by Brewers Supply Group, Briess Malt & Ingredients Co., Hopunion and White Labs.
Summary: 2011 Great American Beer Festival Statistics
* 466 breweries in the festival hall
* 2,375 beers served at the festival
* 49,000 attendees
* Approximately 3,300 volunteers
* 526 breweries in the competition from 48 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico
* 3,930 beers judged (includes 86 Pro-Am competition entries)
* 83 style categories judged, plus the Pro-Am competition
* 167 judges from nine countries
* Average number of competition beers entered in each category: 48
* Category with highest number of entries: 176, American Style India Pale Ale
2011 Great American Beer Festival Official Sponsors
Microstar Keg Management
KBCO 97.3 FM
103.5 The Fox