Panelists Announced for NBWA’s 73rd Annual Convention October 3-6 in Chicago
ALEXANDRIA, VA – The National Beer Wholesalers Association (NBWA) is pleased to announce its exciting lineup for two panel discussions that will take place during NBWA’s 73rd Annual Convention October 3-6 at the Hyatt Regency Chicago in Chicago, Illinois. Visit www.nbwa.org to register today!
The panel “The Great Masquerade: Deregulation Disguised as Privatization” will be moderated by James Hellman, President of Preferred Distributors, LLC, in Sparta, Wisconsin. Voters in Washington state will soon cast ballots on initiatives that would completely gut the state’s system of alcohol regulation. Issues such as slotting fees, participant licensing and uncontrolled sales of liquor are all buried in a deceiving initiative that is being sold as a way to get the state out of the business of distributing and selling liquor. Unfortunately, Washington state is not the only effort where language like “business friendly,” “modernization” or “privatization” has been used to encourage deregulation and attack the effective system of alcohol control. This panel will offer a greater understanding of today’s challenges and offer perspectives from small brewers, law enforcement, public health and state alcohol regulators.
Participating on the panel “The Great Masquerade: Deregulation Disguised as Privatization” are:
· Dan Gwadosky, Director of the Maine State Liquor & Lottery Commission and National Alcohol Beverage Control Association (NABCA) Board Chairman
· Jerry Oliver, former Director of the Arizona Department of Liquor License and Control and Chief of Police for Pasadena, California; Richmond, Virginia; and Detroit, Michigan
· Heather McClung, President of the Washington Brewers Guild
· Judy Cushing, President and CEO of the Oregon Partnership, a non-profit organization dedicated to substance abuse prevention, education and treatment referral services
A second panel discussion “What Does the Consumer Want?” will be moderated by Nick Lake of The Nielson Company. In today’s fast-paced world, consumer needs constantly shift and evolve. The current economic downturn and growth of the power retailer has shifted the way consumers shop for beer. At the same time, the consumer’s interest in choice and variety has continued to provide growth for craft beer. This panel of experts will explore the current on- and off-premise trends in consumer choices and discuss where the craft beer industry is headed.
Participating on the panel “What Does the Consumer Want?”are:
· Garrett Oliver, Brewmaster of The Brooklyn Brewery
· Alex Joerger, Director of Wine, Beer, and Spirits, Best Cellars, Inc./A& P
· Greg Engert, Beer Director for the Neighborhood Restaurant Group, including Birch&Barley/ChurckKey in Washington, D.C.
· Rick Steckler, President and Chief Operating Officer, Click Wholesale Distributing in Kent, Washington
Visit www.nbwa.org for more Convention details and to view the Convention brochure. The Hyatt Regency Chicago reservation department can be reached at (888) 421-1442 or online by clicking here. Be sure to reserve your room today.