Let’s face it, in the nightclub and bar industry, we aren’t inventing new customers; we’re luring them away from our competitors. The more an establishment can get in front of the public, the better chance it has to gain new guests.
Owners are usually best at service and running the operation rather than talking to journalists. By hiring a public relations firm, you will be able to focus your time and energy on creating a well-oiled, profitable machine while your publicist can get your message to the right audience.
However, there are a few things to consider when hiring and working with a publicist:
• Establish a budget and be willing to commit to the process.
• When interviewing with PR firms, ask them to share success stories, and check their references.
• Get to know your publicist, and make sure they speak your language. If they don’t know what strawberry-infused bourbon is, they will probably have a hard time selling it to the media.
• When working with your publicist, be flexible and be fast. If your publicist isn’t the first to respond to a journalist’s request, your nightclub or bar might not get covered.
• Listen to your publicist. You hired them because they are the PR professional, and they know how to get you ink that will drive traffic to your door.
At the end of the day, nightclub and bar owners, as well as publicists share the common goal of complete client satisfaction. Remember your customers have to close out their tabs at the end of the night so be sure to pay your publicist at the end of the month.