Results of the St-Germain 3rd Annual Can-Can Classic Cocktail Competition
The St-Germain 3rd Annual Can-Can Classic Cocktail Competition brought together the finalists from the St-Germain monthly Can-Can Classic Cocktail Competition. Thirteen bartenders, all first-place winners from each respective month of the qualifying contest were awarded an all expense paid trip to NYC to compete.
First place winner, Bobby McCoy of Boston’s Eastern Standard took the the ultimate prize of $5,000 for his cocktail, Elixir Alpestre. Second place winner, also from Boston, was Misty Kalkofen of Drink; she won $2,000 for her cocktail, Maintenant ou Jamais. Third place winner was JP Caceres of Washington DC’s Againn Gastropub; he won $1,000 for the delicious GinGerMain Shandy. The 3rd Annual Can-Can Classic was judged by an esteemed selection of cocktailians, including Dave Wondrich, Author of Imbibe!, Noted Cocktail Historian, Andy Seymour, Beverage Alcohol Resource Partner, Cocktail Consultant / Expert, Toby Maloney, Cocktail Consultant / Expert, Bar Owner / Bartender, The Violet Hour, Phil Ward, Bar Owner / Bartender, Mayahuel and Lynnette Marrero, Bartender, Rye House. The criteria for judging included presentation and technical ability, creativity, flavor and balance.
Immediately following the Can-Can Classic Competition, St-Germain hosted it’s Annual Harvest Fair Party, celebrating another successful spring harvest of wild elderflowers. St-Germain is the world’s first liqueur crafted in the artisanal French style from freshly handpicked elderflower blossoms.
Created by Bobby McCoy, Boston, Eastern Standard
2 oz. Bols Genever
3/4 oz. St-Germain
1/4 oz. Becherovka
1 Dash Angostura Orange Bitters
6 Drops Pernod Absinthe
Method: Combine all ingredients in a shaker tin over ice and shake. Strain into a large coupe glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.
Maintenant ou Jamais
By Misty Kalkofen, Boston, Drink
1 oz. St-Germain
3/4 oz. 10 yr old Cask Strength Laphroaig
1/2 oz. Jasmine tea infused simple syrup
1/2 oz. lemon Juice
2 healthy dashes of Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas Decanter Bitters
1 egg white
Method: Combine all ingredients in a shaker tin. Dry shake. Add ice and shake vigorously. Double strain into a large coupe glass. Garnish with star anise.
Created by JP Caceres, Washington DC, Againn Gastropub
1 1/4 oz. St-Germain
3/4 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
3/4 oz. Homemade Ginger Syrup
1/2 pint Allagash White Ale Beer
Method: Mix all ingredients together completely in a pint glass with a bar spoon over crushed ice. Garnish with a Bruleé Ginger Candy square.
The Finalists for the 3rd Annual Can-Can Classic Cocktail Competition:
- Daniel De Oliveira, Chicago, BOKA Restaurant Group, “The Dragonfly”
- Aaron Butler, Boston, Drink, “Battle of Trafalgar”
- Daniel Toral, Miami, Fratelli Lyon, “Elderflower Fizz”
- Charles Fields, Nashville, Rumba, “Saint Christopher’s Cup”
- Bobby McCoy, Boston, Eastern Standard, “Elixir Alpestre”
- Craig Schoettler, Chicago, Alinea Restaurant, “Dollars & Cents”
- Adam Schuman, New York, Fatty Cue, “La Adelita”
- Preston Eckman, Philadelphia, Apothecary Bar + Lounge, “Fleur Royale”
- Sam Treadway, Boston, Drink, “The Agony and the Ecstacy”
- JP Caceres, Washington, DC, Againn Gastropub, “GinGerMain Shandy”
- Phoebe Esmon, Philadelphia, Chick’s Café & Wine Bar, “Le Comte de St-Germain”
- Misty Kalkofen, Boston, Drink, “Maintenant ou Jamais”
- Sam Anderson, Brooklyn, NY, Hotel Delmono, “The Hanging Garden”