Smoked Gouda Potato & Apple Gratin
This gratin takes advantage of two harvest favorites: apples and potatoes. A mandoline makes quick work of slicing them, but a steady hand and a sharp knife will also do the trick. Bake in whatever side dish pan you have available - glass, metal or cast iron will all work just fine.
Created by: Country Connection Cheese Company
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins
- Yield:Serves 4-6 as a side dish
- 4 oz. (1/4 c.) Shredded Country Connection Smoked Gouda Cheese
- 1.5 lbs (6 medium) Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8" thick
- 10 oz (2 medium) Macintosh or other tart apples, peeled, cored, sli
- 1/2 c. Heavy cream
- 2 tbsp Chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a pan or oven safe dish about 8" in diameter, spread single layer of potatoes (they may overlap slightly). Sprinkle with salt and pepper and about 1/3 of the cheese. Spread layer of apple and then cover again with potatoes. Add another light sprinkle of salt and pepper and another 1/3 of the cheese and remaining apples. Top with the remaining potatoes and remaining cheese. Pour heavy cream evenly over the top. (Gratin can be slightly mounded over top of baking dish; it reduces as it bakes).
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until cheese is golden brown and thin knife easily pierces potatoes and comes out clean. After removing from oven, sprinkle with chopped chives and serve hot, warm or at room temperature.