Nightclub & Bar's cocktail database is composed of tasty treats from top mixologist and industry experts' drink menu creations. Glogg is a traditional Scandinavian spiced wine sure to please customers and put them in the winter holiday mood.
Courtesy of Lotta Jansdotter and featured in her book Handmade Living
- 1 750ml bottle of dry red wine, such as Zinfandel or Pinot Noir
- 1 750ml Bottle port
- 2 Cups water
- 1.5 Cups brandy (such as cognac), rum or vodka
- Zest of 1 orange, cut into strips
- 10 Cardamom pods
- 2 Sticks cinnamon
- 10 Whole cloves
- 5 Slices peeled fresh ginger
- Granulated sugar
- 10 tsps. Raisins
- 10 tsp. Blanched almonds
- In a nonreactive saucepan, mix together wine, port, 2 cups water, Cognac, orange zest, cardamom, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and ginger. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Strain wine mixture and discard solids. Reheat wine mixture over low heat (do not boil) and stir in enough sugar to reach desired taste. Add 1 teaspoon raisins and 1 teaspoon almonds to each of 10 mugs. Fill mugs with wine mixture and serve.