The State Fair
Featuring classic Midwestern ingredients that are complemented by Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar, this elevated grilled cheese sandwich is sure to please guests.
Recipe by Grilled Cheese Academy
- 4 to 5 Tbsp. butter
- 8 Slices firm white bread
- 8 1.5- to 2-Ounce slices Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Medium Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1/3 Cup caramel topping
- 1 Cup pulled pork tenderloin or store-bought barbecued pulled pork
- 1/4 Cup powdered sugar
- Spread butter evenly on 1 side of each bread slice. Heat griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium. Assemble sandwiches while skillet heats: On each of 4 slices of bread, buttered-side down, layer 1 cheese slice and then 1/4 of the apple slices, caramel topping, and pulled pork, followed by another slice of cheese. Top with remaining 4 bread slices, buttered-side up.
- Place sandwiches (1 or 2 at a time) in heated skillet. Grill 2 to 3 minutes or until bread is golden brown and cheese begins to melt. Flip and cook until bottom is brown. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Place powdered sugar in sieve or sifter and liberally dust tops of sandwiches with it.