These spicy olives are infused with fennel. Their licorice flavor entices and creates hunger, encouraging guests to order more food and beer, wine or cocktails. They're vegetarian friendly and can be made ahead of time.
Courtesy of Chef Trey Foshee
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 Pound (2 1/2 cups) Niçoise olives
- 1 Pound (2 1/2 cups) Picholine
- 5 Large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 Orange, zest strips cut into fine julienne
- 1 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a small skillet, toast the fennel seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Rinse the olives in a large strainer; drain well. Transfer the olives to a medium bowl. Stir in the toasted fennel seeds, garlic, crushed red pepper and orange zest and add enough olive oil to cover. Let stand at room temperature for at least 4 hours before serving.
The olives can be refrigerated for up to 10 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.