Fried Peanuts with Asian Flavors
These addictive peanuts can be made extra tangy by soaking them in lime juice before frying and then tossing them with tart shredded lime leaves.
Courtesy of Chef Chris Yeo
- 2 Medium shallots, thinly sliced
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves, very thinly sliced or finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 Cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup fresh lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 Pound (2.5 cups) raw peanuts
- In a bowl, toss the peanuts and lime juice; let stand for 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
- Drain the peanuts and pat dry on paper towels. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the shallots and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until browned and crisp, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to a plate.
- Add half of the peanuts to the hot oil and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the nuts to paper towels. Season with salt and let cool. Repeat with the remaining peanuts. In a bowl, toss the peanuts with the lime leaves, garnish with the shallots and cilantro and serve.