The Best Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
Nightclub & Bar's recipe database is composed of tasty treats from top culinary and industry experts' food menu creations. The Best Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce is sure to please vegetarian, vegan and health-conscious guests.
Courtesy of The Food Lab, SeriousEats.com
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable shortening or palm oil
- 1 Small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
- 1 chipotle pepper packed in adobo sauce, finely chopped & 1 tsp. adobo sauce
- 4 oz. Russet potato (about 1/2 medium), peeled & thinly sliced
- 4 oz. Roasted cashews (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup almond milk
- such as Frank
- 2 tsp. pickling liquid from a can of pickled jalapeño peppers
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Pickled jalapeño peppers, to taste
- Melt shortening in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and jalapeños and cook, stirring, until completely softened but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and chipotle (with sauce). Cook, stirring, until fragrant and mixture starts to sizzle, about 1 minute.
- Add potatoes and cashews and cook, stirring, until cashews are lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add water and almond milk. Bring to a boil, reduce to a bare simmer, and cook, stirring frequently, until potatoes are fully tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to the jar of a high-powered blender (see note above). Add hot sauce, jalapeño pickling liquid, and a pinch of salt. Start on low speed and slowly increase speed to high. Blend on high speed until completely smooth, about 2 minutes, adding water a few drops at a time as necessary to thin to desired consistency. Season to taste with more salt.
- Press mixture through a chinois (see note above), using the bottom of a ladle to get it through. Cheese sauce can be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 1 week. To reheat, microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, or reheat in a small pan on the stovetop, stirring constantly, and adding extra water to loosen sauce as necessary.
NOTE: For the best, smoothest results, use a high-powered blender (such as a Vitamix or Blendtec) and press mixture through a chinois.