Bacon Caramel Popcorn
Nightclub & Bar's bar food and snack database is composed of tasty treats from top chefs', cooks' and industry experts' food menu creations. Bacon Caramel Popcorn made with bacon, peanuts, Ceylon black tea and maple syrup is sure to please guests.
Courtesy of Foodagraphy
- 1/2 Cup popcorn kernels
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 7 Pieces of bacon (or more), cooked crispy, then chopped
- 1/2 Cup peanuts (optional)
- 1 tsp. Fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. Paprika
- 1/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 1 Ceylon black tea bag
- 1.5 Cups sugar
- 1/4 Cup water
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Bring cream and tea bag just to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and let steep for 15 minutes, occasionally pressing on tea bag with back of spoon to release flavor. Discard tea bag. (The extra tbsp of cream should have made up for the cream that will have been soaked up by the tea leaves.)
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Combine popcorn and oil in covered heavy large pot. Make sure that all the popcorn kernels are evenly coated in oil. Heat over medium-high heat until kernels begin to pop. Lift pot just barely off of element and shake until popping stops.
- Pour popcorn onto a large baking sheet.. Sprinkle salt and cayenne over popcorn and toss to coat. Sprinkle bacon (and peanuts) on top of popcorn.
- Combine sugar, water and maple syrup in large saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high, boil without stirring until syrup turns deep amber, about 13 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately add cream (mixture will bubble up). Stir until blended.
- Immediately drizzle caramel over popcorn mixture; toss to coat with wooden spoons. Spread caramel popcorn on a baking paper lined tray in an even layer. Place tray in oven and bake until caramel is shiny and coats popcorn, tossing mixture occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Using wooden spoons toss popcorn and breakup any large chunks. Let cool another 5 minutes and then toss again. Continue this until caramel popcorn is completely cool. Store in airtight container (in refrigerator). Best eaten within 2-3 days.