Basil Jack Skillet Bread
This quick bread comes together in the time it takes for the oven to preheat. It is a welcome addition to cocktail hour, or the perfect accompaniment to a cup of soup or dinner salad. Freeze the Basil Jack for 20 minutes before shredding for an easier task with this softer cheese.
Created by: Country Connection Cheese Company
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: Serves 4 as an appetizer or side dish.
- 1/2 c. All-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp Baking powder
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1/2 c. Water
- 3 tbsp Olive oil, divided
- 5 oz (1 3/4 c.) Shredded Country Connection Basil Jack Cheese
- Place 10" cast iron skillet* on center rack of oven and preheat to 500 degrees
- In small bowl, stir well to combine both flours, salt, pepper and baking powder. In separate small bowl, combine egg, water and 2 tablespoons of oil. When oven comes up to temperature, mix wet ingredients into dry and stir with spatula until just combined.
- Remove preheated skillet from the oven and coat with remaining oil. Immediately pour in batter and spread evenly with the spatula. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top. Bake for 10-15 minutes until bread is evenly golden brown.
- After taking bread out of oven, remove bread from pan to cutting board and cut into wedge or square slices. Cool just slightly and serve immediately.
* If you don't have a cast iron skillet, preheat the oven to 475 and use a 9" cake pan instead. Preheat the pan for only 10 minutes prior to adding the batter, and bake for 15-18 minutes.