With the health care reform bill approved by the House of Representatives and the Senate and signed into law by President Barack Obama, nightlife employers and employees are waiting to see what kind of effect the law will have on their lives (and their finances) — and when.
Many of the bill’s provisions will not be implemented until at least 2014, but some elements will be applied by the end of September, including:
• Children can stay on their parents’ insurance policies until age 26.
• Small businesses receive tax credits to assist with buying insurance for employees.
• All new policies cover preventive care, including annual physicals.
• Insurance companies can no longer drop insured people when they become sick.
• Businesses with fewer than 50 employees will receive tax credits covering 35 percent of their health care premiums; this amount will increase to 50 percent by 2014.