Facebook Timeline Presents Branding OpportunitiesApril 16, 2012 By: Dave Dronkers
Whether you are a business owner or marketing executive, you probably have heard about the recent changes made to your Facebook page. Those companies that have adapted to this new “timeline” format have discovered unique branding opportunities.
What are the major benefits?
- Facebook’s timeline gives businesses a greater capacity to build their brand.
- Individual pages and campaigns can be branded easily at low cost.
- There are significantly more opportunities to create a visually compelling page.
- Companies and brands are challenged to offer a more visual experience.
- It allows businesses to tell their story and connect with customers better than ever.
- The timeline cover photo and tabs can be changed often at low cost.
Imagery can be used effectively in three key areas:
1) The Cover Photo
The most visually significant change for pages with the timeline is the addition of the cover photo, an area where users can upload a single image.
- Use a unique image that represents your page. This might be a photo of a popular menu item, album artwork or a picture of people using your product.
- Be creative and experiment with images to which your audience responds well.
- Use the space to promote a specific promotional theme.
2) The Profile Picture
What Facebook calls the “profile picture” is now a square image that is inset into the cover photo in the lower-left area. The picture integrates with the cover photo and makes a great thumbnail icon.
Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey Whiskey and Pinnacle Vodka integrate the profile picture so that it extends the cover photo and provides a great brand icon.
3) Custom Tab Images:
A maximum of 12 tabs are available. Create custom tab images to fit your overall branding. Following are examples of how Applebee’s and Red Bull use tabs:
As you can see from the above examples, the new Timeline for pages format provides far more opportunities for visually branding your page — but it’s up to you to take advantage of these opportunities.