Do You Know Your Mixology Trivia?
This trivia challenge concerns itself with the genealogy of some of the most famous concoctions of the modern era. These drinks are so good that their origins deserve to be known. Bone up on the classics because here’s our best shot:
1. This effervescent, fruit-laced concoction was first devised at Harry’s Bar in Venice, Italy, during World War II.
2. Created by Fernand Petiot at Harry’s New York Bar in Paris in 1924, this famous drink was named after the unfortunate daughter of King Henry VIII.
3. This hot, Kahlúa-based specialty was created by George Bullington at Bully’s Restaurant in southern California and dubbed the “George Coffee” in Hawaiian.
4. This drink originated in France during World War I and was named after a famed 75mm artillery piece.
5. This classic cocktail originated in San Francisco in the mid-1880’s as the “Martinez Cocktail.”
6. What classic tropical drink was invented by Vic Bergeron (Trader Vic) and originally garnished with a fresh orchid?
7. This classic mixed drink originated at the Louisville Pendernis Club and was first served to famed bourbon producer Colonel James Pepper.
8. The Buena Vista Cafe located at Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco is credited with popularizing what famous hot drink?
9. This colorful tropical concoction actually originated at the Zanzibar Club in London.
10. The combination of Pernod and Champagne — “Death in the Afternoon” — was popularized and named in honor of what great American author?
11. This famous tall drink was created by a London waiter at the turn of the century and obtained its name from the sweetened gin used in its preparation?
12. What drink recipe was invented by Don the Beachcomber and advertised “only one to a customer?”
13. What classic cocktail was created in honor of Jenny Jerome, the mother of Sir Winston Churchill, for her visit to a famous New York club in the mid-1870s?
14. What is the name given to the original “knock-out” drink, a concoction that probably was laced with chloral hydrate?
15. Which wine-based drink is named after a mayor of Dijon, France?
16. This famous rum-based drink originated in 1954 at the Caribe Hilton Hotel, the name of which means “strained pineapple.”
17. What legendary mixologist invented the Blue Blazer?
18. What traditional hangover cure is named after a cowboy who in a fevered delirium cried out to his friends to bring him “his oyster”?
19. What classic rum drink was named for a mine located near Santiago, Cuba, at the turn of the century?
20. What drink is closely associated with the running of the Kentucky Derby?
Click here for all the answers!