2013 Top 10 Social Media Marketing Trends
There were multiple changes in the way that restaurants utilize social media in 2012 and we don’t see any stopping for 2013. To understand how these changes may affect your social media marketing take a look at these top 10 social media marketing trends for 2013.
- Increase Social Media Spend. In 2013, restaurant marketers will increase the use of social media and related content marketing at the expense of traditional advertising to keep and attract new guests.
- Focus On Fewer Channels. Focus on attracting higher-quality followers and connections rather than on sheer numbers. Sharing only relevant content to each target group will be more important than ever.
- Visual Marketing. Understand what it takes to do visual marketing well, whether within your current community or new networks like Pinterest, Instagram and others.
- Facebook Offers Better Tools For Business. We’ll see new ways Facebook is used for hyper local commerce. For example, a restaurant will allow guests to log in and pay through their Facebook account.
- Content Marketing is The New Social Media Marketing. You’ll see more and more restaurant brands using Instagram and Pinterest to produce and share beautiful photos.
- Google+ Will Take Control of Local Social. Google+ has become more business-friendly. This is a huge boon for restaurants enabling them to talk about their storefront in a meaningful way, directly linked to search.
- Mobile Apps Will Still Under-Deliver on Promise.Social Apps Become Social Utilities. Next year, we will see less focus on creating fun apps like contests and polls and more focus on utility applications that actually improve the purchase process for the consumer. For example, a national theater chain created a social app that allows customers to purchase tickets and also share trailers with friends as they search for movie times.
- Email is Not Dead. Studies have shown time and time again that if you want an engaged audience and buyers, they are most likely going to come from your email list. You must keep encouraging people to sign up.
- Peer Reviews will be Integrated into Operations. Social review sites, including Google Places, Trip Advisor and Yelp, will be integrated more deeply into operations to improve customer service, facilities and product.
- Social Co-Branding Will Accelerate Reach and Engagement. More restaurants will move to co-branded social promotions to leverage additional fan bases (example: American Express, Virgin Airlines, Make a Wish).
Still not sure what changes you need to make in 2013 to fully capitalize on these social media marketing trends? Contact Dronkers Solutions (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a free social media assessment. We will determine your current situation and make recommendations for improvement.